'Northern Affinity: Artists from Lapland and Basque Country’is an art exhibition project introducing the work of six artists living/working in Lapland (Finland) and Basque Country (Spain).
'Northern Affinity- Artists from Lapland and Basque Country’
seminar in Korundi on Friday 22th of January
The exhibition, put together by Lapland based artist/curator Misha del Val (Bilbao, 1979) in conjunction with Lapin Taiteilijaseura – Artists’ Association of Lapland, features works of Basque artists Joseba Eskubi, Nadia Barkate and Zuhar Iruretagoiena, and artists from Lapland Jaakko Heikkilä, Raisa Raekallio and Sanna Haimila. The exhibition is to take place at Galleria Napa and Studio Mustanapa, in Rovaniemi, from 23th of January to 16th of February. A seminar will be held at Rovaniemi Art Museum in parallel with the ‘Northern Affinity’ exhibition. The project hopes to serve as an introductory platform for Basque artists in Lapland and vice versa.
Seminar is in English and free but registration is requested. Please sign up: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anniina Koivurova, opening words, Rovaniemi Art Museum
- Misha del Val introduces the idea and process behind of 'Northern Affinity' exhibition, and talks briefly about the artists involved and the speakers.
- Jaakko Heikkilä presents his artistic practice (in particular his 2017 series 'Ballad of Lapland')
- 15 min. break.
- Zuhar Iruretagoiena presents her artistic practice (via teleconference platform)
- Ion Irigoyen presents his artistic research and artistic work, as a Basque person living in Finland
12:30 lunch break
- Nadia Barkate presents her artistic practice (via teleconference platform)
- Raisa Raekallio shares stories and personal observations about Lapland and Basque Country, and how her drawings in the exhibition connect to these.
- Q&A round and seminar closure.
Photo: Sanna Haimila ‘Untitled’, 2018 & Joseba Eskubi ‘Untitled’, 2020.