Korundi - From a Post Bus Depot into a House of Culture
The building now housing the Korundi House of Culture was originally an old post bus depot dating back to 1933. The modifications and expansion completed in 2009 and 2010 were designed by architect Juhani Pallasmaa. He also had a hand in the design of the Rovaniemi Art Museum, which has been in the old depot since 1986.
The old post bus depot is one of very few buildings in Rovaniemi that survived the Second World War. After the war, the building was expanded using bricks from ruins all over Rovaniemi. Korundi successfully marries local history with modern, functional and aesthetically interesting architecture.
The acoustics of the concert and multi-purpose hall in the inner yard of Korundi were designed by the Finnish consulting company Akukon. The hall is also suitable for recording sessions as well as audiovisual presentations and recording sessions.
The core of Korundi’s operations is formed by two nationally significant and internationally notable art organisations: the Lapland Chamber Orchestra and the Rovaniemi Art Museum. Korundi’s premises can also be rented for various events, for example.
The total floor area of the building is 5,300 m².